Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
General Machine Products, a Klein Tools company, located in Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a manufacturer of a wide range of products for the telecommunications, power utility, and cable television industries, and the contractors who serve them.
We are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to be located in our Trevose, PA Facility.
This is a supporting role in which the individual is responsible for performing engineering analysis to define design requirements, review suitability of materials, and feasibility of proposed processes under daily direction. Requires solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals and principles with a good general understanding of various material properties.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Focus primarily on the engineering development of new product ideas that fuel the future growth of GMP.
- Participate in field visits with Product Marketing to observe end-user installations and uncover unmet needs related to fiber optic cable installations.
- Participate in internal new product ideation brainstorming to develop next-generation product concepts and work to engineer those ideas from concept to commercialization.
- Provide support and engineering insight to product marketing for the development of new product business cases.
- Apply the new product development process to bring the product from feasibility, through development, pilot, and up to launch.
- Prepare and route product documentation including, but not limited to, detailed drawings, Item Masters, Bill of Materials (BOMs), specifications, and inspection criteria as directed.
- Design, develop, prototype, and test product components, sub‐systems, by using principles and techniques of mechanical, electrical, and/or industrial engineering analysis and findings.
- Participate as directed in resolving engineering design, product quality, and testing issues.
- Fulfill benchmark evaluation of competitive or proposed new products as well as ongoing product improvements utilizing proposed processes or material changes.
- Perform engineering analysis and field research to define design requirements for new products.
- Perform quality improvement and cost reduction projects that improve customer satisfaction and profitability. Use problem‐solving skills to analyze engineering difficulties.
- Prioritize work to align with the goals of the department and various project teams.
- Review personal progress within projects on a consistent basis and work to maintain timelines.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited institution or program with no work experience; or an Engineering degree from a related field and 5 years of relevant work experience in Mechanical Engineering. 3 to 5 years of SolidWorks or other CAD software experience.
Must have strong technical and analytical skills. Must have planning and organizational skills. Must be capable of facilitating projects and solutions on time and within budget. Demonstrated oral and written communication within a team environment.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software is required. Knowledge of machining and other manufacturing processes is a plus.
The Production Associate is responsible for operating manual and CNC equipment, assembly, and packaging. This position is also responsible for maintaining inventory of assembly components within the work area and set up components to complete each assembly assignment.
1. Operate manual and CNC ﴾computer numerical control﴿ metal cutting equipment.
2. Read bill of materials, gather product to assemble kits, and position parts following assembly instructions or blueprints.
3. Assemble product using hand tools/power tools and apply product labeling in the proper areas when applicable.
4. Ensure the product meets all quality and functional requirements.
5. Package product using packaging instructions.
6. Maintain an organized and accurate inventory of kit components within the assigned work cell.
7. Perform minor troubleshooting on equipment.
8. Disassemble products sent back to the facility for repair to replace or salvage parts.
9. Efficiently complete all assembly by the required deadline and standard rate.
10. Keep a clean and organized work area.
11. Practice, promote and support Lean implementation, continuous improvement initiatives, and 5S standards in the assigned work area.
12. Continuously look for ways to improve process flow and eliminate waste.
13. Perform all other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent with at least one ﴾1﴿ year of mechanical work experience.
Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to work with others and independently with minimum supervision.
Occasionally required to stand, walk or sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
A combination welder prepares materials to be welded (MIG & TIG welding) while also being part of the welding process. As the combination welder, you are expected to weld aluminum and steel depending on the build of the material and product in which you are welding.
1. Responsible for welding metal components to fabricate or repair products within the plant.
2. Create quality welds according to blueprints provided for projects.
3. Prepare product to be welded by grinding, drilling, milling, tapping, and cutting steel/aluminum parts.
4. Responsible for the proper packing, identifying, and moving of all finished products to the proper location.
5. Ensure all equipment is properly set up and used in a safe manner and that company safety measures are being taken with precaution.
6. Performs first-piece inspections as well as all subsequent inspections as required by RMG standards.
7. Perform simple maintenance and repairs as required.
8. Actively participate in cross-train as back up to other areas in the manufacturing plant as needed.
9. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Experience with three (3) years minimum in the welding industry. This position requires intellectual ability in mathematics as well as blueprint readings. This position requires the ability to operate precision measuring devices such as caliper, micrometer, protractors, and tape measures.
Occasionally required to stand, walk or sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. This position works in a production environment with the risk of injury. Some safety equipment must be worn when working with equipment in the shop. Bending, lifting, and pushing up to 70 pounds is required.
CNC Machine Operator
Sets up and operates a variety of machine shop tools and machines such as radial drill press, lathes, milling machines, punch presses, shapers, and grinders, to machine metal
workpieces such as patterns and machine, tool, or die parts by performing the following duties.
1. Studies blueprint or layout on workpiece to visualize machining required, and plans sequence of operations.
Selects the method of holding the workpiece.
2. Lifts workpiece manually or using hoist, and positions and secures it to holding devices such as machine table,
chuck, centers, or fixture. Verifies workpiece position.
3. Selects feed rate, cutting speed, depth of cut, and cutting tool ﴾bar tool, rotary cutter, or abrasive wheel for each operation.
4. Positions and secures tool in tool holder ﴾chuck, collet, or tool post﴿.
5. Moves controls to position tool and workpiece in relation to each other, and to set feeds, speeds, and depth of cut.
6. Starts machine, turns handwheel to feed tool in the workpiece or vice versa, and engages automatic feeding device.
7. Turns valve handle to start the flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
8. Observes operation and regulates tool position and action.
10. Verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications.
11. Measures, marks, and scribes workpiece to lay out for machining.
12. Devises ways of clamping workpieces and makes special jigs and fixtures as needed. Works on nonmetallic
13. Perform other duties as required.
Shift: 1st and 2nd
High school diploma or GED with a minimum of three (3) years of experience working as a machinist in plastic
injection molding. CNC and Master Cam experience a plus.
Ability to use tool room equipment such as lathes, mills, grinders and have experience working on injection molds.
Ability to read and understand part and tool prints. Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine
to exact positions. Must have good communication skills and work well within a team. Ability to work productively
with minimum supervision. Ability to use measuring tools and hold tolerances.
Tool Room Machinist
We are looking for a skilled Tool and Die Maker to craft dies and metal tools for our manufacturing facility. In this role, you will be required to interpret design schematics, cut and shape dies, and assemble the completed parts. You may also need to test the performance of the completed product.
To be successful as a Tool and Die Maker, you should have in-depth knowledge of metalwork and engineering, a good eye for detail, and the ability to visualize structural components. A top-class Tool and Die Maker is able to translate ideas into expertly crafted metal forms ready for the manufacturing process.
1. Use sketches, blueprints, specifications, and models to plan operations for the fabrication of dies, tools, and assemblies, ensuring safety and maximum efficiency.
2. Verify dimensions of finished parts to ensure they conform to specifications using dial indicators, gauge blocks, calipers, and micrometers.
3. Utilize hand and machine tools to assemble parts of tools and dies and to repair and modify gauges, jigs, and dies.
4. Design templates and jigs to be used as work aids for convenient fabrication of products and parts.
5. Diagnose and troubleshoot problems and perform repairs on tools, manually operated dies, and progressive dies.
6. Interface with external and internal customers, handle supplier and customer concerns, and work with team members to solve problems during the production process.
7. File and finish workpieces using the appropriate hand tools to ensure products are smooth and that they fit together properly.
8. Select the appropriate metals and materials to be used based on properties, ensuring they meet project specifications.
9. Perform all other duties as assigned
Must be able to read, write, speak and understand basic English
Demonstrate proficiency in basic math and trigonometry
High school diploma or equivalent
Ability to communicate and work as a team member
Must be able to stand for shift durations
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Completion of apprenticeship program or trade school diploma program
Minimum (3) years of experience in tool and die making
Maintenance Technician will perform general maintenance work, maintain and repair warehouse, structures, machines, electrical systems, heating and ventilating systems, air conditioning units, sprinkler system, plumbing, painting, carpentry, masonry, welding, and millwright work and other maintenance work as required.
1. Maintenance/repair of building and manufacturing equipment/processes, (electrical), including painting, sheet metal work, welding, plumbing, etc; diagnose machine malfunctions, disassemble and determine the extent of repairs necessary, estimate labor time, purchase or make repair parts, and conduct, test, and repair.
2. Maintain a safe work environment to prevent on-the-job injuries by following and promoting company, OSHA, and EPA rules and regulations, implementing machine safeguards, recognizing and reporting safety hazards, and follow all safety procedures and standards.
3. Assist with the installation of capital equipment and electrical wiring systems in a safe, timely, and competent manner.
4. Keep the work area in clean and orderly condition, complying with established 6S standards.
5. Perform monthly/quarterly/annual required safety inspections such as but not limited to, fire extinguisher, emergency lighting, eyewash stations, and sprinkler valve.
6. Assist in managing scrap metal collection and disposal throughout the facility which includes the removal of drums and hoppers from various areas of the building. Maintain the scrap area behind the building making sure it is clean and organized.
7. Assist in managing hazardous and non-hazardous waste byproducts incurred during the machining process, maintain required DOT and RCRA training as required by federal, state, and local authorities.
8. Perform all other duties as required.
High School and two (2) years related work experience in a manufacturing maintenance role.
Must possess knowledge using hand and power tools.
Must possess knowledge of the variety of machines used in this facility.
Demonstrate basic computer, reading, writing, comprehension, communication, and calculation skills, including reading a ruler and use of a calculator.
Demonstrate strong attention to detail.
Demonstrate the capacity to shift priorities.
Ability to work closely and effectively with all employees and management staff.
DISCLAIMER: This position may include exposure to radio frequencies that may be dangerous to individuals with a pacemaker, consult with your doctor.
Walking, up to 10 hours per day (interruptive)
Sitting or Standing, up to 10 hours per day (interruptive)
Bending/twisting neck, up to 2 hours per day (interruptive)
Bending/twisting waist, up to 2 hours per day (interruptive)
Hand movement, up to 10 hours per day (repetitive)
Arm movement, up to 10 hours per day (repetitive)
Pushing/pulling weight (assisted), up to 2 hours per day (interruptive)
Lifting weight, up to 35 lbs., up to 2 hours per day (interruptive)