Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
General Machine Products, a Klein Tools company, located in Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a manufacturer of a wide range of products for the telecommunications, power utility and cable television industries, and the contractors who serve them.
We are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to be located in our Trevose, PA Facility.
This is a supporting role in which the individual is responsible for performing engineering analysis to define design requirements, review suitability of materials, and feasibility of proposed processes under daily direction. Requires solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals and principles with good general understanding of various material properties.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Focus primarily on the engineering development of new product ideas that fuel the future growth of GMP.
- Participate in field visits with Product Marketing to observe end-user installations and uncover unmet needs related to fiber optic cable installations.
- Participate in internal new product ideation brainstorming to develop next-generation product concepts and work to engineer those ideas from concept to commercialization.
- Provide support and engineering insight to product marketing for the development of new product business cases.
- Apply the new product development process to bring product from feasibility, through development, pilot, and up to launch.
- Prepare and route product documentation including, but not limited to, detailed drawings, Item Masters, Bill of Materials (BOMs), specifications and inspection criteria as directed.
- Design, develop, prototype and test product components, sub‐systems, by using principles and techniques of mechanical, electrical, and/or industrial engineering analysis and findings.
- Participate as directed in resolving engineering design, product quality and testing issues.
- Fulfill benchmark evaluation of competitive or proposed new products as well as ongoing product improvements utilizing proposed processes or material changes.
- Perform engineering analysis and field research to define design requirements for new products.
- Perform quality improvement and cost reduction projects that improve customer satisfaction and profitability. Use problem‐solving skills to analyze engineering difficulties.
- Prioritize work to align with the goals of the department and various project teams.
- Review personal progress withing projects on a consistent basis and work to maintain timelines.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution or program with no work experience; or an Engineering degree from a related field and 5 years of relevant work experience in Mechanical Engineering. 3 to 5 years of SolidWorks or other CAD software experience.
Must have strong technical and analytical skills. Must have planning and organizational skills. Must be capable of facilitating projects and solutions on time and within budget. Demonstrated oral and written communication within a team environment.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software is required. Knowledge of machining and other manufacturing processes is a plus.
The Production Associate is responsible for operating manual and CNC equipment, assembly, and packaging. This position is also responsible for maintaining inventory of assembly components within the work area and setup of components to complete each assembly assignment.
1. Operate manual and CNC ﴾computer numerical control﴿ metal cutting equipment.
2. Read bill of materials, gather product to assemble kits, and position parts following assembly instructions or blueprints.
3. Assemble product using hand tools/power tools and apply product labeling in the proper areas when applicable.
4. Ensure product meets all quality and functional requirements.
5. Package product using packaging instructions.
6. Maintain an organized and accurate inventory of kit components within the assigned work cell.
7. Perform minor troubleshooting on equipment.
8. Disassemble products sent back to the facility for repair to replace or salvage parts.
9. Efficiently complete all assembly by required deadline and standard rate.
10. Keep a clean and organized work area.
11. Practice, promote and support Lean implementation, continuous improvement initiatives and 5S standards in the assigned work area.
12. Continuously look for ways to improve process flow and eliminate waste.
13. Perform all other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent with at least one ﴾1﴿ year of mechanical work experience.
Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to work with others and independently with minimum supervision.
Occasionally required to stand, walk or sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.